Phoenix Fest 2006

Thursday, March 09, 2006

I just finished a tiring but enjoyable Phoenix Fest 2006. It was pretty cool although the crowd was a bit small (who am I kidding, it was really small). Started off with a song by band (I was on the drums) and we played a relatively slow number called 'Help the Aged'. It wasn't spectacular but considering the number of practices we had were few, I'd say we pulled it off pretty well... This was followed by a choir performance (technically two... but well... *shrug*) but I was warming up so I didn't get to see much of it. Then came my dance item, which was really tiring. I think street dance or whatever it is Jonathan choreo-ed isn't for me... I don't have the stamina to keep up... (which probably also tells me I should start exercising more, although that won't happen unless I decide to haul my lazy ass up and start doing some running)

The rest of the show was entertaining to say the least. We had seniors and final years performing too, and they were really cool. Willy and gang put up a good item which was funny yet looked great. The senior choir too did a good job, especially their rendition of Green Day's Basket Case. Jie Xiao's dance was really 'Pao-werful'. DRHama was really good too... although I had a bit of a hard time hearing the dialog (which was quite witty IMHO). CME put on a good show too, although as far as instruments go, I'm not much into classical... but don't get me wrong... I like sentimental songs... and I think +Unplugged did remarkably well too.

And yes, I will thank the Tech team. They always go unappreciated, but they were really accomodating and I really take my hats off to them. The sounds were definitely up to mark, especially for the senior band performance. Thanks to culture comm too for putting the whole event up!

So is that it? Just a report on Phoenix Fest? Not entirely... I'd like to address an issue I noticed about performances in hall... something which may go unnoticed by a lot of people...

Is it just me or is the quality of performances dropping slowly but surely? We see seniors doing this and seniors doing that and they always put up spectacular performances... even though they may not belong to that activity. Since I'm not quite as senior, I really see that the quality of their performances outstrip ours. Is it because we lack practice? Is the problem because of skill? Is it because we're doing things just because we have to, whereas for them they do it because they WANT to? Do we lack the passion? Will we ever reach that stage where we will ALSO outperform our juniors in the future? Would that be a good or bad thing? Difficult questions to answer... But one thing for sure, the 'juniors' in hall need to buck up and hone their skills... the performances can be good, but I believe we still have a long way to go... all of us...

Not only that, but I think appreciation is on the decline. Looking at the number of people around, either it's just a case of it receiving such a mediocre support because there are mid-terms, or people are just apathetic. I know that not everyone agrees with hall life, but it's just sad that so many couldn't care less. Yes, the performance may not be great... but I really think that it's not bad, and coming down to destress a little wouldn't hurt. I mean, life entertainment isn't all that bad... plus it's only for 2 hours or so... Guess I'm just ranting... but it just makes my suspicion that halls in NUS are sinking deeper and deeper into oblivion stronger.

Performances need commitment, practice and passion. If I have any two but lack the other I won't be able to put up a good performance. Teamwork is important too, since you can't do a lot by yourself (solo performances possibly, but how many people actually go solo?) I think performance artists should put in at least this much if they want to perform. Otherwise, don't bother. It would be a waste of other people's time and other people's effort. No, it didn't happen to me, but I really think that we ought to enjoy doing it, commit ourselves to it, and work on it. Then the performance would be a hit... but that's just my opinion...

Posted by Gerald at 3/09/2006 02:36:00 AM