Arguments and Debates

Monday, March 27, 2006

Conflict is funny. It is the one things which brings out the worst in man. It can be positive in the sense that it can bring out the best results in a given situation. However, it is very much something we all try to avoid because it largely generates discomfort, feelings of resentment and may escalate to violence. People have opinions about just about anything that matters to them. Some are vocal with them, saying what they feel and making it known. Others are more passive, preferring to keep their views to themselves. I am more of the former kind, which leads me to saying or expressing some things which I feel strongly about.

Arguments and debates are part and parcel of conflict. It may be long and convoluted like in a court case, or so short that it is almost non-existent, like in a bar brawl. The kind of argument that is benneficial is actually the ones which provoke thought, contain as little malice as possible, is non-personal, and with the participants all truly having a single solid objective. This is extremely hard to achieve, and I myself have failed more than once in this area. Refreshing debates are fun though, it helps sharpen your mind, give you new perspectives on things, and strengthens your reasoning skills... at least that's what I strive for.

I think that it's a skill. It requires knowledge, critical thinking and sound reasoning, but it's something which can be learned and sharpened over time. Which is also why I feel that sometimes, all it takes is a sharp wit and a reasonably sound logic to push through an idea. If you can answer all questions raised substantially, who can doubt that the idea isn't feasible? Of course, it takes facts, but every idea has sound reasoning behind it, and you'd be foolish to push for something with no basis. The whole trick is to structure your argument to sell your points and convince as many people as you can that you're right. Even if you don't have airtight, clear-cut proof, if you argue well enough, casting doubt on the opposition, it can win you the battle. Facts can be twisted to support or refute almost any claim. There can never be an 'absolute' argument because there are unlimited number of ways to view a situation.

The most important thing about arguments, is to remember to keep to the issue at hand and not get carried away with emotions. If things do get heated, take a breather... that's what I try to do when it gets too much... sometimes I remember to... sometimes... but I'm still learning... I really want to be a rational, thinking, logical and smart debator, meaning I don't ruffle feathers unnecessarily and belittle others, or get worked up when others do it to me. It's not easy, but it's definitely not impossible. I also hope to be the kind who debates not for the sake of debating or causing conflict (even though sometimes it is fun), but to make things better for everyone and to come to an amicable conclusion. Keeping that in mind is the most important thing in a discussion...

Yes, just some random musings about things... 'Deep thoughts' perhaps... but still interesting nontheless...

Oh, my wishlist is not a list of MUST GET things... To make it clear to everyone, it's a WISH LIST, not a MUST GET LIST... it's fine if I don't get any... not all wishes come true, in fact I believe most of them don't... And no, a wish is not the same as a vision... It's hard to tell them apart sometimes, but I think one is when you can work progressively towards, and the other you can't. I wish... nah... won't happen... >.< Guess I need to just suck it in and live with it...

Posted by Gerald at 3/27/2006 02:04:00 AM