Double Mindedness

Monday, March 31, 2008

You know how it is. The constant "Should I or should I not..." kind of thoughts which plague every individual. It takes a very strong person, or an idiot, to make such clear and absolute decisions.

Pastor preached about it on Sunday. While this may have just been the introduction to what he actually wanted to tell us, it bears much thought as being lukewarm is exactly what makes people 'ordinary'. Of course, the whole foundation was laid to finally talk about one of the biggest problematic attitudes we have as humans... procrastination.

There are a few things I learned. The story of Samson was interesting as it described how God led him to a place: Mahaneh Dan, between Zorah and Eshtaol. Mahaneh Dan is the place of CHOICE. Zorah literally meant "Hornet's Sting", and Eshtaol referred to the face / will of God. It's always easy to make a choice with your head... of course you know you ought to choose Eshtaol. Unfortunately, we wrestle with our flesh, and it usually wants us to take the easier, self-gratifying way, Zorah.

How does this relate to procrastination? In many ways. Every time we decide we want to do something that is led by God, we ought to do it NOW. If God has called us to serve, then serve Him NOW. Saying "maybe when I have time" is basically making God play second fiddle to your own wants. Putting off tomorrow what you can do today is exactly the basis of procrastination.

We are used to thinking "I'll do it tomorrow for sure..." and we before we know it, a year has passed and that 'tomorrow' still hasn't come. It's the biggest lie the devil uses to keep us from achieving the things God has called us to. We have to make a DECISION, be DEDICATED to it, and DISCIPLINE ourselves to follow through. It's not easy, but it's what makes us strive to succeed.

So double-mindedness is when you think "should I do this now or later..." and then "well, I can afford to take a rest now... I'll do it later..." We're not being very wise because at the end of the day, we make decisions but lack the COMMITMENT. This is something I catch myself doing many times, and I'm still trying to overcome.

Of course, making the RIGHT decision is important too. Only do it when God calls you to, not when you want to. Impulsiveness is not the same as decisiveness... that's just foolishness.

So, I'll complete the things I know I ought to do. I'll write down everything I need to get done and make sure it gets done by the end of April. It's a busy period, and there is a lot to do, but it might just be an opportunity for me to overcome procrastination and adopt a productive habit. I won't do it alone though. I'll need Your help. Thank You.

Posted by Gerald at 3/31/2008 05:40:00 PM