The Challenge

Wednesday, March 26, 2008

It's always a challenge to decide to walk on a path which you know may lead to failure. It's difficult enough that the path is narrow, fraught with obstacles and treacherous passes, but to realize that all that effort may count for nothing, or worse, cause you to lose something... it's not easy...

All things worth pursuing come with a price, and it's the weighing of the cost versus the result which helps a person decide. A lot of thought was put into deciding to walk in such a difficult direction, and it was not an impulsive choice. In fact, despite the seemingly unfavourable position, the process in which that decision was made keeps coming to remembrance, and it is the sole source of strength which gives the drive and ability to stay in that place.

Thoughts of throwing in the towel have surfaced more than a few times, and each time it seems so convenient, so much easier, so much better to just yield. Yielding cuts losses, concedes that the prize is out of reach and allows for freedom... but you obviously won't obtain the prize even if it may not actually be out of reach.

How does one tell the difference between perseverance in the face of obstacles and plain stubbornness? It is a question that has been asked before... but a satisfactory answer has yet to be found. Perhaps it requires a leap of faith, to believe that this is the path to take and persevere through regardless of the obstacles. To keep on keeping on even when everything else fails. To look at the prize and focus on it, drawing strength in seeing it with your spirit. In the end, if it turns out right, it would be perseverance. Otherwise, it would be stubbornness.

By hanging the definition on the outcome, it is basically impossible to tell the difference when faced with the dilemma. Thankfully, I have one thing which gives me strength to know the difference...

God's word.

He spoke... in the still small voice... when I cried out to Him... They testify to what I believe is where He wants me to go... and I will follow them, even if they seem to make me stubborn. I will, by faith, take it to be perseverance. I have been encouraged each time I feel down, and I have been helped up each time I fell. Perhaps the final result isn't exactly as I predicted, but the path I am walking, I at least know that I was called to...

Lord, give me the ability do the things I can, the strength to accept the things I can't, and the wisdom to tell the difference.

Breakthrough... or breakdown... I'm fighting for the former... but even if the latter happens, I will declare that I still believe in His word, that this path is where He has ordained me to go...

I have no regrets...

Posted by Gerald at 3/26/2008 01:42:00 AM