Disagreements

Monday, March 31, 2008

Yes, I'm one of those irritating people who like to ask questions to provoke thought. I like to disagree, not because I thrive on dissent, but because I believe disagreeing is a very good way to connect with people. You actually get to know what they really think instead of just 'text-book answers'.

In any case, this article reflects my sentiments on disagreeing.

Opinions matter, because they tell me what you think. I'm not deliberately being disagreeable. I'm not deliberately being mean and wanting to be entirely against you. A conversation where there are no disagreements are boring. Think about it.

A: I think XXX football club is great!
B: Yea, I agree!
A: I think they got great players!
B: You're right.
A: They're absolutely fantastic!
B: Yea, they are.
...

The conversation is totally uninteresting. How can the two of them connect? How can they communicate well?

It doesn't mean that you shouldn't be agreeable. I do have my own opinions. I may actually agree with you and the way you think. However, sometimes, I just play devil's advocate to provoke a response. Sometimes I just try to be disagreeable to get you to state what you really think, and why you think that way.

So if I'm being disagreeable... just remember I'm trying to connect with you.

Posted by Gerald at 3/31/2008 07:09:00 PM