Letting go and letting God

Monday, June 18, 2007

This phrase certainly sounds like a cliche, but I've learnt that all the 'cliches' are actually very good learning points, if we actually take the time to sit down and reflect upon them.

Life is a very bumpy ride, with a lot of ups and downs, and plenty of monotonous straights in between. We can't help but think about certain things and worry over them; It's kind of our nature. Fortunately, sitting down thinking and twiddling your thumb alone will not help you solve your problem, but it would be effective if the worrying actually yielded action and change. That's where this cliched saying comes in.

If you stop to think about it, it's funny how we actually like to grab on to our problems and try to solve them with our own strength, and then blame God when we fail. The power behind this phrase lies in the fact that there are a LOT of things that we cannot control, and YET we end up being frustrated and worried over. Things like whether the weather would be good. Things like how the other party thinks or would respond. Things like what other people think about us, or how a scenario may be played out. The things which we CAN control, God expects us to do our best at managing it, but He DOESN'T ask that of things which we cannot control. These are the things we HAVE to LET GO.

To "do all the things we can do, and having done all else, to stand", is really something that isn't easy to do. Just as a student has studied hard for an exam, and has studied what he/she believes need to be studied, it is not easy to walk into the exam hall fully letting go and trusting in God, because he/she may never know if he/she might've missed some part or is unable to recall some information. We will always have our doubts and worries and reservations. This is where God needs to come into the picture.

I thank God that I've learned how to trust God more, even as He's been bringing me up to another level. My quiet time has never been more fulfilling, and I really feel that these few weeks I've been walking closer and closer with Him. This has resulted in me being able to simply trust Him in a lot of areas which I previously haven't been able to. I simply lay my worries, fears, doubts, uncertainties and reservations at His feet everyday, and even though I might sometimes pick them up unknowingly, I ALWAYS put it down again. This frees my mind to think about other things, to focus on things which I CAN do, instead of things which I have no control over.

Trusting God is not an easy thing. It gets harder as the thing you entrust to God gets more and more precious to you. Still, I've learned that you simply HAVE to do it, and it brings you much freedom. Let's put it this way, if this matter is God's will for you, it will work out right since you've done all you can, and you're putting your trust in Him. On the other hand, if things don't work out as you'd like, then that really isn't your fault... it's just probably God telling you His will is different, or the timing is off, or you need to hang in there a bit more.

I'll quote a verse which will help us see this clearly:

And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose. Romans 8:28

I hope that God will continually help me to lean on Him, to trust in Him, and to free myself so that I can do more for Him. I pray that I will learn to always look to Him no matter the circumstances, and trust that His purpose will lead me to a better tomorrow.

Posted by Gerald at 6/18/2007 11:47:00 AM