Ubuntu problems

Tuesday, March 13, 2007

So I thought I could enjoy using Ubuntu, but to be honest, it hasn't been the best experience. For starters, it actually HANGED while I was trying to install the updates. (Who said Linux doesn't hang?) I know a lot of people would point fingers at me and say that the problem is me, not the OS, but all I did was run the update manager and surf around in Firefox, and it just HANGED. I had to force reboot...

The settings for Ubuntu were not to my taste either. I didn't like that the default setting of GRUB, I'd prefer to have Windows on default because like Ubuntu was supposed to be more for development. Till now, I'm still trying to find how to fix that. I didn't have this problem when I used SuSe.

AND, there's little or no support for my widescreen monitor. I checked through the forums and tried some fixes, but they only caused my Ubuntu to crash at X startup and now I have to reinstall Ubuntu. I guess there is a good reason why some people simply won't even consider Linux. While Ubuntu is supposed to be the most user friendly, it's a far cry compared to SOME of the simpler things Windows offers. For one thing, I didn't have to reinstall Windows when I first got my 19" widescreen. It hurts my eyes to stare at a 4:3 screen in Ubuntu and until I can FIX that, I won't be using it much.

That's been my Ubuntu experience. Honestly, I should probably have stuck with SuSe, at least I didn't face as many problems. I'm still hunting for the solutions to the three simple (IMHO) problems which have yet to be solved. I wished I was either a lot better with Linux or I never heard of it.

Technorati Tags: , , ,

powered by performancing firefox

Posted by Gerald at 3/13/2007 01:48:00 AM