MSN Issues

Sunday, September 09, 2007

I've always wondered why everyone migrated over from ICQ to MSN a couple of years back. I liked ICQ, and the only pro I could see from MSN was the fact that it was fast. A few years down, MSN is now SO BUGGY that it hurts just to use it. It's riddled with connection issues, and it's SLOW as ever. ICQ had a lot of cool features which MSN had to emulate, and when it had 'successfully' done so, it turned out to be clunkier than ever.

Somehow, MSN seems to be having connection problems once every other week. Why everyone still insists on using it is beyond me. Losing the fastest means of communication within hall is frankly, irritating.

Moreover, the amount of memory such an application takes to run is astounding. Add the fact that it's laden with advertisements which you never ask for, Microsoft sure has gone out of its way to make this as difficult to use as possible.

But like everything Microsoft, people stick to it because of familiarity. It's too comfortable to start migrating away from something so familiar, and we're all resistant to change anyway. That explains why although I'd very much prefer GTalk (It's not only faster, it's a lot more lightweight and has less connection issues too), I still have my MSN. I'm looking forward to the day I can get rid of it totally, and that'll be the day mass migration takes place again... this time from MSN to GTalk.

So, what are you waiting for? If you're already on GTalk, add me at geraldchow[at]gmail.com

MSN can go die!

Posted by Gerald at 9/09/2007 11:41:00 PM