More working life reflections

Friday, September 12, 2008

So I've been here for a month and things are starting to pick up. I think I can say I've settled in quite comfortably, but not too comfortably that I don't feel the urge to get up and do more. So far, I've been pretty blessed by being able to finish what I have to do. Still, considering I've stayed back late a number of times in the first few weeks, it's kind of an indication that things won't be so easy.

Working with your boss is something that is weird in a way. He's a very nice guy, but even though I know that, you can't help but feel somehow that you just have to be more productive when he's around, so it gets a bit stressful. He's not in today, and I've been a bit more relaxed, but at the same time, I feel very productive today completing much of my work today!

The way this company is structured makes it a pretty good place to work IMHO. Since day 1 my boss asked me to just go and push those who need to be pushed, even if they're much more senior. The company culture is apparently one where finger pointing isn't as important as SOLVING the problem, and I can at least see that in this project. I'm finding most if not all of my colleagues easy to work with; They're fun, kind, nice, motivated people, and they help keep everyone productive.

I'm enjoying myself here I must say, although the crunch time is not here yet, I'm preparing myself as best I can for it. I don't really mind staying back too, because even if I DO leave, I'm not going to do much back home, plus the work will be waiting for me the next morning. I have a very clear idea of what I'm supposed to accomplish here, and I'm doing what I can to make sure I do just that.

Here's to a long meaningful career! The end will definitely be better than the beginning, and with a start like this... ^_^

Posted by Gerald at 9/12/2008 05:29:00 PM