Upcoming Movies

Friday, April 13, 2007

I've discovered the joys of having a nice 19" HD compatible monitor. I started reading a lot about HD, but I never realised that my own monitor was capable of displaying it as well (with the help of my graphics card of course). With my newfound knowledge, I headed over to Apple Movie Trailers to see my HD capabilities in full swing. I downloaded the 1080p versions out of curiousity. What I saw left me breathless as not only were the graphics crisp and clear, the movies were interesting too. So let me go through some of the upcoming movies that I'm really looking forward to watch.

Shrek the Third
This show is a classic. I fell in love with Shrek and it has been one of my all time favourite movies. When Shrek 2 came out, I indulged myself watching it at least 3 times in the cinema. This series is really comedy at its best, with plenty of references to other movies. I've been blown away by how they manage to slot in modern day nuances to a fantasy medieval show like Shrek, and puns are a dime a dozen. It's witty, hilarious, and ultimately, entertaining beyond what you could ask for. It's not as silly as a Jim Carrey show, and it actually requires you to have your brain with you to fully appreciate the show. Shrek the Third tells the tale of how the king of Far Far Away is dying, and Shrek would have to become king. That doesn't suit him very well (ok, at all), so he sets of to find another king to replace him. Incidentally, the candidate happens to be Arthur. Also, Shrek is about to be, brace for it, a FATHER. The horror doesn't end there. Our favourite villain, Charming, is back, and he's got every wicked and evil character in Far Far Away behind him, and he's after the throne. All this cumulates into what looks to be an extremely exciting show, one in which I do NOT want to miss. Look out for hilarious quirks from the Gingerbread Man, Pinocchio, Puss and who could forget, Donkey. I'm putting this VERY HIGH on my MUST WATCH list.

Pirates of the Caribbean 3: At World's End
I must say I'm looking forward to this show almost as much as Shrek 3. The first movie was absolutely amazing, although the second one left much to be desired. Still, it was not unintentional, since the 2nd movie of any trilogy usually doesn't accomplish much except set the stage for the finale. (Think Matrix and LOTR) That said, after watching the trailer and a teaser about "Captain's Quarrel" I'm very impressed with what I saw. The wit and charm of the characters have not been lost entirely, and it looks to come back with a bang this time around. The story involves an epic sea battle, one that would more than rival any seen on the big screen before. It's filled with witty jokes, one liners and the best part is, we still have Johny Depp pulling them off. I absolutely adore the kind of jokes that are bound to appear, and the wittier it is, the better. This is another of the movies on my MUST WATCH list.

Spiderman 3
The third installment of this web-slinging hero is a must watch for fans of the comic book. It features Spidey's all time rival, Venom, and that alone is reason enough to catch it. There's enough information about this movie on the net, so I'll just concentrate on the trailer. It was provoking and portrayed just how difficult it is to be a superhero. Not to reveal too much of the plot, but suffice to say, having to struggle against three different people after his life is definitely going to make this show very exciting. I certainly hope it lives up to its hype.

Ocean's 13
Carrying on with the '3' trend, we have the third installment of this utterly magnificent show about conmen. It's one of the few shows where a plethora of high profile actors and actresses come together and actually put on a REALLY COOL show, and Ocean's 13 doesn't seem ready to disappoint. It's going to be intrigue after intrigue, con after con, life after lie as they try to pull of yet another heist, although what exactly I'm not entirely sure. We'd have to catch the show to find that out ourselves. Besides, what we *think* they're doing may not actually BE what they're doing. That's what makes this series so great! I'm keen to watch this show, although the trailer doesn't really tell me much.

Harry Potter and the Order of Phoenix
This is the fifth movie of the Boy who Lived, and it's a very dark movie; at least if the book is anything to go by. The actors and actresses have grown up (much to the delight of every Emma Watson fan out there) and they're going to be battling Lord Voldemort in any way they can. The trailer itself portrays the frustration Harry feels throughout the entire book, and I'd think the movie would too. I'd say the hype factor is, like Spidey 3, very high, but like so many over-hyped movies, they have a tendency to flop. The book itself doesn't give a very satisfying ending, and I have a feeling that the movie will do that too. After all, they'd need to leave you wanting more so you'd see the next one.

The best part is, I'm going to have my 3 months break in which I can try to catch these shows. Hopefully, they won't disappoint. By the way, HD trailers are huge! But the quality of the shows are just so amazing, it's perfectly understandable. Try it sometime.

Technorati Tags: , , , , , , , ,

Powered by ScribeFire.

Posted by Gerald at 4/13/2007 03:19:00 AM